Ca Marche!
We performed the breakfast rites for the final time this morning and made our last journey of the trip across Paris which required a suitcase trundle from Le M Hotel to Montparnasse Metro. It was a last chance to admire the attractive, well thought out and thriving streets of this city. London is not known for its high buildings, but Paris even less so. There is a business area to one side of the city with tall buildings but it stands respectfully to one side and allows Paris to carry on being Paris. Mind you, Paris, as it is now, hasn’t been around for that long. In 1853, Napoleon 3rd decided that the city coffers were particularly full and commissioned Baron Georges-Eugene Haussmann to give the city a makeover. This meant demolishing vast acres of buildings that were already there. This included mostly shabby buildings but no doubt much of it would now have been hauled into the 21st century and gentrified. There were doubtless some areas that had been there since Roman times. Imagine being allowed to do that now. The occupants of these building s were given no choice. They were simply moved out. I doubt they were then moved back into the spacious white, wide avenued, tree lined, beautifully proportioned grandeur that replaced it all. Sweeping away most of a city and saying, ‘right, let’s build a new one’ was quite extraordinary. Apparently this cost an eye-watering, 2.5 billion pounds. And I’m not talking in today’s money!
We arrived back in Gare du Nord, calculating that we had one
journey each left on our metro cards. We’ll settle for that. The procedure for
getting through customs seemed better laid out at this station, than St.
Pancras. This said, we arrived at the passport checking area and were asked to
divide into EU and British Passports. Kate
has an old passport which says EU on it and mine is new, saying British. I put
this observation to the little French official. He reacted with the disdain,
contempt and irritability so commonly seen in French officials. “That was rude”
remarked someone in the queue. “And wrong”, I added. The irony was that though
we both therefore queued in the British passport line, Kate’s passport was
accepted and mine was refused! I had to be taken off to the EU counter which
was controlled by a real person instead of a machine.
Our train was delayed. I couldn’t help thinking that this was probably due to issues on the British side of the journey. Leaves on the track at Ashford. The wrong kind of wind at Rochester. You know the kind of thing. Still, it left time for the obligatory coffee in the departure lounge.
I wish I could remember the exact location and details of this next bit, but... at some point we saw a menu which had next to it, an Englsh translation. There were three options for a particular meal and we noticed that the third option was a 'greedy' one. We were intrigued. It turned out that this was their translation for the French, Gourmand! I feel like I've been found out. I love café gourmands! It just confirms what I already knew about myself....
And then, there we were again. Hurtling. If ever we have
hurtled, it has been on the Eurostar. There’s no other word to describe it. An
LED sign in the carriage informed us every now and again that the top speed
reached by one of these trains was 354 kph. That’s a lot for hundreds of people
balanced on a couple of rails. As before, the most exciting part of the journey
was reserved for the British side where the train was still determined to
maintain what sometimes seemed like reckless speed despite the many hurdles
that are Kent. The only part I recognised was when we shot over the river
Medway near to where Kate hails from. She would have loved to see this bit too
but chose this very moment to go to the loo….
And so to St. Pancras and then the busiest part of the
journey by far as we fought our way to the Northern line and so on to Finchley.
But would our car be waiting for us. Or had it been wheel
clamped/stolen/vandalised by now? No, it was waiting for us, patiently. This
‘Just Park’ website really does work, it seems.
Actually, the whole trip worked. It still strikes me as
funny, how someone can sit there on their phone for a while and, at the touch
of a few buttons, create a holiday. Even I, with my haphazard, somewhat chaotic
approach to life can manage it. Ca marche! Aren’t mobile phones wonderful. Hang on, what
did I just write!

Comments
Post a Comment